- Small and Medium Enterprises Empowerment Scheme Application – The World Trade Organization (WTO) Micro, Small and Medium-Sized Enterprise Informal Working Group (MSME Group), in partnership with the International Chambre of Commerce (ICC) and the International Trade Centre (ITC), is calling for proposals that help small businesses to transition to more sustainable business practices and contribute to global decarbonization.
Small and Medium Enterprises Empowerment Scheme Application – The aim of the 2022 competition is to find ways of helping small businesses reduce their carbon footprint and benefit from sustainability innovations. As the urgency to address climate change increases, innovation by businesses of all sizes will be critical to achieve UN sustainability targets. Domestic and international supply chains represent an estimated 90 per cent of corporate emissions according to the World Economic Forum, with small businesses contributing to this.
- Raise awareness among businesses and policymakers of the difficulties MSMEs encounter related to decarbonization, be it through lack of financial resources or limited awareness.
- Highlight best practices that are helping small businesses to decarbonize their production and become more sustainable.
- Support small business’ participation in international trade with a view towards addressing climate change and business resilience.
Winning submissions will be highlighted by the ICC, ITC and WTO MSME Group through their communication channels and receive recognition during Building Bridges, to be held in Geneva on 3- 6 October 2022. Winners will also receive a certificate.
What kind of proposals are they looking for?
- Proposals can focus on awareness-raising campaigns, competitions, capacity building, training and mentoring programmes.
- Proposals should have a target completion date of within one year from initiation.
- Proposals should be designed to be delivered by the entity making the proposal and should not focus on WTO negotiations, or proposed changes to WTO rules.
- ICC, ITC and the WTO MSME Group will use their networks to support and promote successful proposals.
- Businesses, industry associations, chambers of commerce and non-governmental organizations are invited to submit proposals.
- Private companies are invited to submit proposals if they are in partnership with an industry association, chamber of commerce or non-governmental organization with a MSME focus.
- The Small Business Champions organizers are asking that participants develop proposals that their own organizations are capable of achieving without significant external assistance and that focus specifically on MSME trade and decarbonization, not on the work of the WTO.
For more information, visit https://www.wto.org/english/