Everybody wants to be a house owner, but not everyone has the resources and opportunity to be one. There are lots of barriers which could hinder this dream like insufficient funds. Due to this, the Nigerian Government decided to help Nigerians by introducing a special housing programme.
The Programme is tagged “The National Social Housing Programme”, NSHP. Remember the President, His Excellency Muhammadu Buhari talked about his Economic Sustainability Plan. The NSHP is the housing component of that plan. It will help deliver affordable housing and millions of jobs for many Nigerians.
With as low as 2 million naira, you can own your home in any part or region of the country. The housing programme is not restricted to certain parts of the country. You can opt in to the programme as an individual or a part of a cooperative with a minimum of the amount stated above.
Objectives of the NSHP
The National Social Housing Programme, will only be considered a success if it achieved the following targets;
- Provides 300,000 homes across the country including the Federal Capital Territory
- Deliver 600 estates in all states of the federation
- Provide up to 2 million jobs for Nigerians in most sectors of the economy, including construction
- Ensure that Nigerians have access to quality housing with little finance
- Increase domestic production of construction material through economies of scale
Available Home Options in the National Social Housing Programme
There are mainly 3 home options for aspiring owners. You will also see the amount they can be acquired beside it.
- A room self contain – N2,000,000
- 2 bedroom flat – N2,750,000
- 3 bedroom flat – N3,500,000
After seeing this, I am sure you can also testify that the Nigerian Government has made home ownership quite affordable for the average Nigerian.
Nowadays, N2,000,000 cannot even buy a land in many areas of the country. But, the Federal Government who have the best interest of its citizens at heart has decided to change this story.
So what are you waiting for? Well, sorry to say this. But, not everyone is eligible to partake in this programme. There are specific requirements you must meet, before you can even complete the application. I will reveal them to you in the next subsection.
Requirements to own a Home with the NSHP
- Applicant MUST be a Nigerian Citizen
- He/she must have a valid National Identity Card
- Applicant must be at least 18 years of age
- Applicant must show a reliable and consistent means of income
How to apply for the National Social Housing Programme
Application for this programme is very simple and easy. Note that this procedure must be followed in the specified order to achieve favourable results.
- Visit the application portal here https://nshp.gov.ng/
- Proceed to the application page
- Complete your profile by submitting your personal details, housing preferences, etc.
- Submit the application.