Heinrich Böll Foundation Scholarships for International Students. Approximately 1,000 Heinrich Böll Foundation International Scholarships for Undergraduates, Graduates, and PhD Students to study at Universities in Germany. Interested individuals can now apply! See details.
The Heinrich Böll Foundation grants scholarships to approximately 1,000 undergraduates, graduates, and doctoral students of all subjects and nationalities per year, who are pursuing their degree at universities, universities of applied sciences (‘Fachhochschulen’), or universities of the arts (‘Kunsthochschulen’) in Germany. The special focus regions for international students are Central and Eastern Europe; EU neighborhood countries and the CIS; the Middle East and North Africa; transition and newly industrialized countries; and conflict regions worldwide.
The Heinrich Böll Foundation works independently and nurtures a spirit of intellectual openness. We maintain a world wide network with currently 30 international offices. We cooperate closely with 16 state-level Böll Foundations in each of Germany’s federal states, and we support talented, socio-politically engaged undergraduate and graduate students in Germany and abroad.
The Heinrich Böll Foundation
is a catalyst for green visions and projects, a think tank for policy reform, and an international network is closely affiliated to the German Green Party.
- promotes the development of democratic civil society at home and abroad
- defends equal rights and equal opportunities regardless of gender, sexual orientation,
- religion, ethnicity, or nationality
- supports cultural projects as part of our civic education programmes
- assists gifted, socially and politically active students and graduates in Germany and abroad
- co-operates with state foundations in all of the 16 German states
- is mostly financed through public funds (currently around 45 million euros per year)
Aim and Benefits of Heinrich Böll Foundation Postgraduate Scholarship
Scholarship will be offered for the duration of the undergraduate, Masters or Doctoral programme
Requirements for Heinrich Böll Foundation Postgraduate Scholarship Qualification
The following general requirements apply to international student applicants (except EU citizens) who wish to study in Germany:
- You must be enrolled at a state-recognized university or college (e.g. Fachhochschule) in Germany at the time the scholarship payments begin.
- You should provide proof that you have already graduated with an initial professional qualification. This programme mainly supports students aiming for a Masters degree.
- You need a good knowledge of German, and require you provide proof of your proficiency. Please note that the selection workshop (interviews, group discussions) will normally be in German. Exceptions (interview in English) are, however, possible.
- Unfortunately, the current guidelines specify that the foundation cannot support foreign scholarship holders for stays abroad in third countries for more than four weeks.
- You should definitely apply for a scholarship before the start of your studies, in order to ensure long-term support and cooperation.
- The Heinrich Böll Foundation cannot award you a scholarship, if you are studying for a one-year Masters degree and were not previously supported by the foundation.
- Applications are possible before you begin your study programme or within the first three semesters.
- Applicants must provide proof that they have been accepted as a doctoral student by an institution of higher education in Germany or an EU country (for doctoral scholarship).
Interview date, Process and Venue for Heinrich Böll Foundation Postgraduate Scholarship
Heinrich Böll Foundation Scholarship recipients are expected to have excellent academic records, to be socially and politically engaged, and to have an active interest in the basic values of the foundation: ecology and sustainability, democracy and human rights, self determination and justice.
Documents Required for Application
- Personal data and CV
- Motivation letter for applying to the Heinrich Böll Foundation.
- An outline of your motivation for studying your chosen subject and of your main areas of interest.
- An outline of your social commitments and political interests
September 1, 2022
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to Heinrich Böll Foundation on www.boell.de to apply
Please note: We accept only online applications
- Gather information on the application process and the requested documents
- Register for the online application portal
- Provide the requested information in the Online Application Portal
- After uploading all of your documents, submit your application before the end of the application deadline
- The application deadline is March 1st and September 1st. Please note: We only accept online applications. The application portal will be opened about 6 weeks before the application deadline.
International applicants have to prove their proficiency in German. Good or very good knowledge of the German language is required (at least B2 Level or DSH2).
For more details, click here