The National Endowment for Democracy Grants – The National Endowment for Democracy (NED) supports projects that promote political and economic freedom, a strong civil society, independent media, human rights, and the rule of law.
NED funds only nongovernmental organizations, which may include civic organizations, associations, independent media, and other similar organizations.
NED encourages applications from organizations working in diverse environments including newly established democracies, semi-authoritarian countries, highly repressive societies and countries undergoing democratic transitions.
NED does not make grants to individuals, governmental bodies, or state-supported institutions such as public universities.
- IOM Grants for CSOs & NGOs in Nigeria
- Apply for N20 Million Away Funds
- Apply for Development Bank Recruitment
- Apply for CBN MSMEDF Loan
What Type of Programs NED Supports
NED is interested in proposals from local, independent organizations for nonpartisan programs that seek to:
- Promote and defend human rights and the rule of law
- Support freedom of information and independent media
- Strengthen democratic ideas and values
- Promote accountability and transparency
- Strengthen civil society organizations
- Strengthen democratic political processes and institutions
- Promote civic education
- Support democratic conflict resolution
- Promote freedom of association
- Strengthen a broad-based market economyAll proposed projects must be consistent with NED’s general purposes as outlined in the NED Statement of Principles and Objectives.How Funding Decisions are MadeDecisions are made on a quarterly basis by the NED Board of Directors. The Board considers the following factors:
- How a program fits within the Endowment’s overall priorities,
- Its relevance to specific needs and conditions in a particular country,
- The democratic commitment and experience of the applicant.Application RequirementsApplications must include the following items:1. Organization Profile Form
- This form collects the same basic organizational information.2. Application Proposal Form
- This form collects project specific information.- Proposal NarrativePlease follow the proposal guidelines to prepare in advance the Proposal Narrative in English or your local language. The narrative should describe the project.- Proposal BudgetThis is the financial description of the project you would like to conduct with NED funds and should correspond to the activities in the Proposal Narrative. Please follow the proposal guidelines for additional instructions and use the Microsoft Excel Budget Template whenever possible. You will attach this file to your online application.- Registration Documents (if applicable)
Please include your Certificate of Registration or other documentation showing the legal status of your organization. If your organization is not registered, this documentation is not required. Instead, please include an explanation (in the transmittal email) as to why your organization is not registered and the status of any pending applications for registration.
How to Apply
To apply for a grant, please complete the required forms and write a narrative proposal describing your project. Submit the forms and proposal via email or secure communication to the appropriate address based on the region in which your project will take place (see/follow the links below).
For more information and application, please see; The National Endowment for Democracy Grants Website