Africa’s food security challenges require results-oriented leaders in government, the private sector and civil society who are responsive, adaptable, and able to lead collaboration, mobilize real change, and ensure delivery of country priorities.
At the country-level, for a leader and champion in food security and agriculture to remain relevant and effective, professionals must be ready to lead change and deliver on their priorities with practical tools and strategies.
The Centre for African Leaders in Agriculture’s (CALA) Advanced Leadership Programme is a collaborative, hands-on, and tailored experience for senior and rising leaders in Africa’s agriculture sector. Designed for individuals spearheading and directly implementing specific country-level agriculture initiatives, the programme is initially open to participants from eight countries.
Certificate & Recognition
- Graduates of the programme will receive a certificate in Advanced Leadership Programme for Africa’s Food Security & Sustainability
- Be recognized as delivery champions across AGRA’s prestigious continental platforms and events, including at the national level
- Join an esteemed network of transformative leaders providing peer support for continuous achievement of country priorities
Programme Format – Apply for Africa’s food security and sustainability
The 16-month leadership programme for experienced professionals will include a unique learning approach to developing participants’ leadership, collaboration and management skills, through the following experiences:
- Virtual and in-person (when possible) learning events to hone leadership skills for delivery
- Action Learning Projects connected directly to the participants’ job objectives and country transformation objectives
- On-the-job and in-country coaching
- Regular peer accountability sessions
- Participation in bi-annual leadership forums
- Participation in the African Green Revolution Forum (AGRF)
- Exposure to case studies of ‘Game-changers’ in African agriculture
- Virtual and in-person peer-learning and networking with cohorts of participants from across the continent.
Programme Costs & Sponsorship
Participants’ fees are fully sponsored through support provided to AGRA by the German Development Cooperation through KfW Development Bank. This will include travel costs for all Leadership Forums and graduation events from 2022. Participants are expected to meet their own costs of internet access, as the 2021 leadership forum will be virtual in compliance with COVID-19 restrictions. Please note, attendance fees for AGRF 2021 will be fully self-sponsored (or supported by your institution) and CALA does not provide for per diems for attendance.
April 19 – June 3, 2022
Programme Outcomes – Apply for Africa’s food security and sustainability
CALA’s Advanced Leadership Programme will support food security champions and leaders to:
- Be recognised as a delivery-oriented and collaborative leader driving tangible change at the country-level
- Advance country-level flagship programs and policies to achieve progress toward agriculture transformation
- Network & drive cross-sector collaboration to advance sustainability and food security objectives
- Enhance leadership skills in environmental sustainability through exposure to agro-ecological principles, climate change adaptation and environmental and social management (ESMS), each recognized as contributing to sustainable farming, food production, and resilient food systems in the face of increasing climate change impacts.
Leaders implementing country-level agriculture efforts:
- Established or emerging leaders working in government, private firms and associations, or civil society organizations who are responsible for driving agriculture flagships and priority programs.
- Must be actively employed or working in government (public sector), private sector and civil society (associations or civil society organizations)
- 2 initial cohorts will be formed from participants from the following countries: Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Malawi, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda.
Special consideration will be given to:
- Women leaders
- Individuals working to advance agro-ecological practices.
Application Process Details
- Applications for Cohort 2 opens on April 19 and closes on June 3, 2022
- Selection communicated by early July
- Cohort 2 begins in early August 2022
How to Apply