Apply for $50,000 IsDB-ILO Youth skills Accelerated Programme – The Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) and the International Labour Organization (ILO) invite youth-led organizations, networks, or coalitions to propose new and innovative ideas and solutions to support a just transition towards environmentally sustainable economies and societies for all.
The Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) and the International Labour Organization (ILO) recognize the leadership that young people have demonstrated in the fight against climate change and their key role in driving climate innovation, including amid the COVID-19-induced jobs crisis. To assist young people in further translating their activism, commitment, and creativity into action, the two organizations have designed the “Youth Green Skills Accelerator Challenge Call”, with the overarching goal of promoting youth participation and skills for green jobs for a just transition.
To that end, the IsDB and the ILO invite youth-led organizations, networks, or coalitions based in the IsDB – ILO common member States to propose new and innovative ideas and solutions that equip youths (15-35 years old) living in the IsDB – ILO common member States with the competencies required for supporting a just transition in their communities.
Drawing on the infrastructure and experience of the ILO Skills Innovation Facility, the Youth Green Skills Accelerator Challenge Call is looking for solutions that contribute to one or more of the following target scopes:
- Upskill or reskill youths for their effective participation in the green policy-making processes for a just transition;
- Ensure peer-to-peer learning on just transitions and strengthen youth coalitions on the subject;
- Create or improve training programmes to equip youths with the technical and soft skills required for the green transition in a given sector / for a given occupation;
- Mainstream climate change into existing Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) and education curricula and programmes for youths;
- Improve access to opportunities for green skills acquisition and recognition for marginalised youths;
- Support green skills trainers and training providers in becoming agents of a just transition for youths; and
- Translate employment creation, entrepreneurship or business ideas into solutions that accelerate upskilling or reskilling of youths for a just transition in the communities.
For more details, please refer to the Participants Guidelines.
Who can apply?
Any youth-led organizations, networks or coalitions with contractual and registered capacity that has been in existence for at least two calendar years prior to the call deadline. The applicant must be registered in IsDB – ILO common member States.
By organizations, networks or coalitions, we mean government agencies, employers’ and workers’ organizations, cooperatives, education and training institutions (including schools, training providers, and universities), NGOs and civil society organizations, and other educational and research institutions.
We accept ideas and solutions at any stage of development. They can be early-stage innovations or at a more advanced stage. They can be ideas to improve, expand and/or promote a solution that is already being implemented. They can be the idea of a single organization or involve a joint collaborative effort of different actors, such as governments, employers’ and workers’ organisations. In case of teamwork, a project leader should be identified to coordinate the activities and to report to the IsDB and ILO.
For more details, please refer to the Participants Guidelines (English) (Arabic).
How to apply?
1st Application round
- Review the eligibility criteria for participation in the call, selection criteria for assessments, and the Terms and Conditions applicable to ILO Implementation Agreements specified in this Participants’ Guidelines.
- Fill in the Application Form (English) (Arabic) and submit by no later than 12 August 2022 (midnight Geneva time).
Before preparing the application form, please look at the list of Application Questions (English) (Arabic). We recommend preparing your application information and answers first using this list, as the online application form does not allow you to save an application before the submission. Also, please prepare a budget estimate using the Budget Template (English) (Arabic) and submit it on the Application Form.
Applications can be submitted in English or Arabic. Only the selected applicants for the 2nd application round will be contacted. No fee is required to participate in the Call for Proposals. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
2nd Application round
- If your proposal is among the top 10 applications submitted, the lead applicant will be requested to submit an extended project proposal.
- The successful finalists must be available to attend the online mentoring training session (20 October-3 November 2022) and the online final pitch event (7 November 2022).
Prizes and benefits
Up to 10 finalists will receive mentoring and training for a period of one week to improve their projects. Following the period, 3 winners will be selected at the online pitch event and receive the following support:
- Financial support
The top three ideas will be awarded USD 50,000; USD 30,000; and USD 20,000 respectively, to implement the proposed solution.
- Technical support through an online Innovation Lab
Participation in the Innovation Lab: Through boot camps and remote mentoring, the winning proposals will receive technical support to turn, refine, develop, and pilot their ideas. The duration of the lab is between three and six months, depending on the stage of development of the solution.
- Global visibility
The winning proposals will receive support to raise awareness of their ideas and solutions, including an invitation to attend COP 27, where they will present their projects; press articles in the media, and videos, among others.
- Access to a network of skills innovators
The winners and shortlisted entries will join the ILO Skills Innovation Network. They will be updated on the latest advances in innovation and skills development and get access to tools, resources and knowledge-sharing events that they can use to build new ideas and solutions
How To Apply
Interested Persons should apply IsDB-ILO Youth Skills Accelerated Skills and should ensure details are entered correctly.